How to backup and restore Skype chat history in Windows 7

By techgist, April 12th, 2011 in How-To  |  24 Comments

skype_logo_techgist

Skype IM is widely used by the business community, vital information are shared through Skype. There are chances that you may need to re-install Skype. So it is always better to have a backup of the Skype chat history to avoid loss of important data.

Here is an easiest and quick way to backup Skype chat history in windows 7 without using any software.

Backup Skype Chat History

To backup Skype chat history in windows 7 please follow the below steps,

1) Browse to the following folder:
C:\Users\<windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Skype

2) Copy all the files and folders and paste it in a safe location.

3) Now Backup is completed.

Restore Skype Chat History

To restore Skype chat history in windows 7 please follow the below steps,

1) Before you start restoring you must first Sign Out and Quit Skype.

2) Then browse to the following folder,
C:\Users\<windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Skype

3) Now copy all the folders we backed earlier and paste it in the above location. You need to click ‘yes’ to overwrite files and folders.

4) Now you can sign-in to Skype and see all your chat history.

5) Restore Complete. Enjoy!

Skype Contacts

Don’t worry about Skype contacts all your Skype contacts are stored in Skype server so as soon as you install Skype and login to your Skype all your contacts are grabbed.

Windows XP users read this article

techgist tips : Always download or upgrade to latest version of Skype because higher versions will be bug free with improved performance with new exciting features. You can download the latest version of Skype from the below link.

24 Comments »

1. Wood — May 3, 2011 at 4:19 am

Home run! Great sulgigng with that answer!

2. Spaskich — May 26, 2011 at 9:18 am

Doesn’t work for me.

3. OLGA DIEZ — May 30, 2011 at 10:19 am

where i can brouse this c:/user//App Data/Roaming/Skype . i had new version and i download wizardtoolsbars.but skype still doesn’t working, and i try to brouse the folder but i cannot find, please can you help, i tired about this matter, but don’t want to lost my skype.thank you so much and i waiting for you help me…

4. mihoy — June 14, 2011 at 6:21 am

my computer is windows 7 i browse that with my my username but my computer said no match found .. how can i restore deleted chat histories?please help i really need this for legal purposes

5. mihoy — June 14, 2011 at 6:34 am

ive already done it but it doesnt over write the folders it duplicates and when i open skype still thyre not restored pls help

6. mihoy — June 14, 2011 at 7:49 am

i turned off the history since i used the skype is there any possibilities that i can recover all those call and IMS histories?i need youre help sir please help me

7. ABC — January 25, 2012 at 12:26 am

Doesn’t work for me. Plz help

8. Natasa — February 5, 2012 at 1:56 am

You need to edit your settings in Control Panel/Folder Options, to see hidden files and folders. Than you’ll be able to find AppData and the rest…

9. P Kalaytan — May 11, 2012 at 4:59 am

files moved there but no history in the skype… what is alternative location??

10. Imran Khalid — May 30, 2012 at 5:30 pm

thnx………… it worked 4 me

11. Free — June 12, 2012 at 11:40 am

That is really fascinating, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and stay up for looking for extra of your wonderful post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks

12. byruta witig — July 2, 2012 at 6:46 am

plaese retore my skype connection with old skype name byruta wittig before my lates computer crash 27.06.2012

13. byruta witig — July 2, 2012 at 6:49 am

plaese restore my old skype connection byruta wittig before my computer crash 27.06.2012

14. byruta wittig — July 2, 2012 at 6:50 am

plaese restore my skype connection byruta wittig

15. free movies — July 9, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Simply want to say your article is as amazing. The clearness to your publish is just great and i can think you are knowledgeable in this subject. Well along with your permission allow me to clutch your RSS feed to keep updated with approaching post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please carry on the gratifying work.

16. Visit Site — July 13, 2012 at 1:53 am

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all of us you really know what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also visit my site =). We may have a link alternate agreement between us

17. Naresh Parmar — August 17, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Superrb.

it’s worked. :)

18. PW — August 23, 2012 at 3:37 am

I could not find folder AppDatain Win 7, How to fnd it? Pls help. Thanks.

19. PW — August 23, 2012 at 3:38 am

I could not find folder ” AppData” in Win 7, How to fnd it? Pls help. Thanks.

20. dvd-download — December 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm

It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m happy that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

21. PEN Vathana — December 27, 2012 at 12:39 am

i did this but it still miss some of the history chat and calls, but thanks anyways,

22. Nitths — January 7, 2013 at 5:02 am

I changed my laptop from Acer+Windows XP to a HP+Windows 8 and this solution did not work.
    In my case it was necessary to copy the most recent config.xml file (from new laptop with W8) and paste it on the new laptop (overwriting the older one).
    Now Skype is working and my history is fully saved!

23. vegas wedding favors — February 3, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Great site. Plenty of helpful info here. I’m sending it to several pals ans also sharing in delicious. And of course, thank you on your sweat!

24. Nohamin — April 17, 2013 at 5:29 am

Great, but I would like to backup from different two laptops with the third laptop what can i do but I need the chat information that i did on both laptops please I need help.